Common Assessment #3 – Link –
Tomorrow we’ll be taking the 35 Question Common Assessment for the third quarter. It will cover Unit 7 (Reproduction) & Unit 8 (Genetics). The study guide is available on the Semester 2 Documents page, or you can get it from the link below. The key is also available for viewing this afternoon.
Here are the list of key terms we’ve covered during the Second Semester. Click to enlarge:
Below is all of the videos from Unit 7 linked together as a playlist. If you would rather watch one section at a time individually, the links are still available on the Semester 2 documents page or on my YouTube Page
Here are the videos from Unit 8: Genetics
So today we’ll be reviewing. We’ll go over key terms and some example problems. Below is a video by “CrashCourse” that is a good review of the concepts we covered in Unit 8.
Make sure to study the terms from the Unit 8 Terms list and be ready to rock some punnett squares!
To complete today’s assignment (the answers are posted BTW), you’ll need the following information about Orbital Diagrams. These are the rules that dictate where electrons go and how they spin.
1. Hund’s Rule: One electron is placed in each orbital of an electron shell BEFORE a second one is put in any of the shells. (AKA – The Bus Seat Rule)
- Correct: ↑↓ ↑_ ↑_ ↑_ ↑_
- Incorrect: ↑↓ ↑↓ ↑↓ __ __
2. Aufbau Principle: Each shell must be completely filled before beginning to fill the next shell
- Correct: ↑↓ ↑_ ↑_ ↑_
- 3s 3p
- Incorrect: __ ↑↓ ↑↓ ↑_
- 3s 3p
3. Pauli Exclusion Principle: Electrons in the same orbital spin in opposite directions
- Correct: ↑↓
- Incorrect: ↑↑
Here’s Friday’s plan (all of the handouts and assignments are also available on the Semester 2 page.
- Finish yesterday’s worksheets
- Watch this youTube video and take notes
- Do the Practice problems for Multiple Alleles & Sex Linked traits. Due Monday.
- Watch this video and take notes (Click here for the PDF)
- Complete the KLM structure Worksheet. Due Monday.
I’ll be out of the classroom Thursday and Friday. Each day I’ll post the plan on this site and all the activities and links can be found on the Semester 2 documents page.
Complete the “Despicable Me” & “Gnomeo & Juliet” Activities for complete and incomplete dominance. Each is due monday but you can turn them in tomorrow.
Work on your Elemental Dating project. Remember there are three parts to the assignment. If you are ready to start your video, make a Bohr Model of your element and use that to make your video.