Thats right, today in class we will be making monsters based on their DNA code.
First make sure you get BOTH hand outs from the table up front. Then follow the directions on the front page to draw the Monsters on the back page. Here’s what you do:
- Use the DNA code to match the mRNA compliments. (Remember: T→A but A→U)
- Use the mRNA to match the tRNA compliments.
- You can check your work by comparing the tRNA to the DNA; they should be identical except that the ‘T’s have become ‘U’s.
- Use the chart at the bottom of the page to determine what amino acid (#) is coded for by each mRNA Codon. Write the number in the Amino Acid section.
- Repeat this process for all mRNA codons.
- Use the Amino Acid sequence to determine what trait has been coded for by the DNA.
- Once all traits have been decoded, draw your MONSTER! Give him/her a name and add any other traits you want including the ones coded by the DNA. The drawings should be neat and colored.
- Finally, write down the FULL sequence of DNA from the original DNA provided, as well as the list of traits.
There You Go! That’s how easy it is to make a monster… sort of. Either way, this is great practice doing transcription and translation which are the two steps of Protein Synthesis. So have fun and I’ll see you again soon!